Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Rooster



Sriracha is my ketchup.  I put it on and in just about everything. I swirl it into the garlic butter they bring with carryout pizza, and practically bathe my slices in it.  The fatty butter, chili spice, and acid from the vinegar holds beautifully onto my pizza spoon.

I also drizzile it into pho, turning the aromatic stock almost pink, clinging to the noodles, dripping from the bean sprouts and cilantro. The heat from Sriracha is different than the heat from the added sliced fresh chili peppers, hitting different parts of the tongue. Mouth explosion!

I put it on cheese & crackers.  A little dollop, like a little  fondant flower on a cupcake.

I mix it with ketchup  for a french fry dipper, 
Sweet heat, a personal favorite.

I drizzled it over some of Jennifer's beloved Tomato Basil soup for some heat, with apologies..... and she blessed it with, " I love the Rooster". Enough said.
.
I have used it as a rub for blackened rare ahi tuna.  The Sriracha glues the blackening spice to the tuna and insures proper blackening.  The caramelized sauce turns a bit sweet.  Nice foil to the pepper cajun spice.



I have wanted to try it on salad, but it can be a little dense and gloppy for salad purposes, so I came up with a vinaigrette.  I used the standard 1 part acid to 3 parts oil ratio.  Whisked the olive oil with rice wine vinegar, salt, cracked Tellicherry pepper, and Sriracha.  A few drops of sesame oil and hint of cane sugar....Sriracha Vinaigrette!

I fried up some thinnly sliced won ton skins, tossed with shredded romaine lettuce,  radish quarters, sliced onion, and a drizzle of the vinaigrette.  A wonderful crisp bite with a very distinctive cool heat.


                                                             Sriracha, in a different way.

No comments: