Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

When Meatloaf Should Just Be ....Meatloaf.

There are a few things I do not cook.  Pot Roast, Ribs, and Waffles being a few.  Meatloaf being number one.  I love meatloaf.  I crave meatloaf.  I do not make it.  Michael makes the meatloaf in this house.  When I am in the presence of the trilogy of ground veal, beef, and pork, the sinister culinary cogs in my brain go haywire.  Meatloaf? Why?  I could...no, should add things.

My meatloaf would turn into a pistachio-studded, blanched asparagus-lined,  pate' de campagne;  lightly mixed, baked in a bain marie to poach, weighted & pressed to compact, chilled, sliced, and served with tart cornichons, Maille Dijon Mustard to spread, and baguette as a vessel.

But, there are times when meatloaf should just be meatloaf.  That is why Michael is the meatloaf maker.  His is honest and comforting.  What it should be. Straight-to-the-point meatloaf, with tomato ketchup topping caramelized into a glaze.  Juicy and tender.  Crunchy on the outside edges...coyly referred to as the meatloaf G-spot. Blush. 

He used to drain the fatty flavor drippings (as I like to call them...others, not).  My balking of this flavor drain and insistence of it's shiny hair worth inspired an interesting spin.  He now drains the drippings and uses them for his roux based pan gravy.  Brilliant!  Meatloaf cream gravy!  Perfect for the requisite whipped potatoes, which he also prepares with great care; butter-topped  and creamy. The ideal potato indented-well for steamed green peas, topped with meatoaf dripings cream gravy. Yep.


Perhaps the greatest advantage to a REAL meatloaf over  .....say....a pate de campagne?

                                                                        Leftovers.





No comments: